Travel Authorization Request

Per the Office of the Provost, essential travel includes travel absolutely necessary to fulfill one’s core or primary job function and/or provide crucial support to the university, such as essential research or lab work. During times of restricted travel, essential travel must be approved in advance. It is the traveler’s responsibility to obtain approval from the traveler’s department Chair or Director and provide a copy to the LHWC Staff. (Note from College Dean and information on research related travel)

If you have questions or need assistance completing the form below, please contact your designated staff contact:

Conferences, meetings, research/field work:  Carolyn Church
Field trips (faculty):  Xoe Cranberry
Field trips (grad students):  Cicily Riggs
Field trips (undergrads):  Liz Smith

Faculty:  Xoe Cranberry
Graduate Students:  Cicily Riggs
Undergraduates:  Liz Smith

The following form must be submitted PRIOR to travel in order for a Travel Authorization to be submitted. See the table below for processing deadlines. Please note that reimbursements may be delayed if forms are submitted after these deadlines and/or if some information is missing (such as funding numbers).  Please also submit this form prior to using a p-card for travel-related purchases

If your Travel Authorization Request is for International Travel, after submitting, you will receive an email from the Office of Global Operations and Security. This email will request some pertinent details from you. Be sure to check your inbox, and reply promptly. 

Type of Travel Deadline to submit TA request to be processed prior to travel
Cash advance requested
(KUCR funds only)
4+ weeks minimum before departure date
Field trips, conferences 3+ weeks  before departure date
Regular 2+ weeks before departure date

Use the Travel, Finance & Purchasing tab above for helpful travel information.



Please provide the name of the event you are attending, if applicable, and/or short description of what you will be doing throughout your travel. For conferences and other meetings, please provide a URL to the relevant website.
If you know it, please select the time of your departure.
If you know it, please select the time of your return.
The name of a city is required for your travel to be approved. You can list multiple destinations if needed. For fieldwork in remote areas, please list the town/city nearest to the location.
hold 'Ctrl' to select more than one option
This will be the 7 digit dept. code or cost center, the 5 digit endowment number, or the 10 character KUCR Project ID. If you don't know the number, please identify the name of the account you're wanting to use or name of the person who can provide the info.
hold 'Ctrl' to select more than one option
Please provide an estimate on the expenses selected above and indicate whether you will use a p-card or request reimbursement for each. Be sure to include any known miscellaneous expenses.
If you have a travel award, please state the amount of award. If using multiple funding sources, please state how much you would like to use from each source. Add any additional information you think we should know about your funding should go here as well.
If you used the Dept. p-card to purchase airfare or book hotel, please make note of that here.
To be requested at least 28 days prior to travel. KUCR funds only (not available with state/endowment funds).
Ex: Hotel $800, Taxi's $100, Food $500 etc
If yes, please immediately contact your staff person with more information. (Faculty -> Xoe; grad students -> Cicily; undergrads -> Liz)
COVID - If you select 'No' your travel authorization will not be submitted until we (staff) receive your travel approval. Understand that when travel has been restricted, you should NOT proceed with booking expenses until approval has been provided by my department Chair or Director. You will provide a brief description for how this trip is necessary to fulfill your core or primary job function and/or provide crucial support to the university and the approver’s contact information. You must also send documentation of such approval to a staff member within the LHWC.

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today