Before Travel

  1. Approval to travel, including estimated budget and funding source
    1. Apply for Faculty/Student travel awards
      1. Faculty/Staff Research Development Travel Fund
      2. CLAS Faculty Travel Fund (PDF)
      3. Undergraduate Travel Award
      4. Graduate Student Presentation Travel Fund
  2. Verify there are funds remaining in your Grant*** | GRF | IFA | Start-Up etc.
  3. Complete Travel Authorization Worksheet
    1. Follow these instructions to login and access the form.
    2. Note: Have the following information ready
      1. Who:  Travelers, attendees, participants
      2. What: Conference (agenda with name, location, dates, time, meals provided); Non-Conference (a brief statement of the business purpose)
      3. When:  Travel dates.  (note: It helps to have the time of departure and return in order to calculate per-diem, but it's not required for form)
      4. Where: Travel Destination
      5. Why: Detailed statement of business purpose such as:  conference, research, recruitment, field camp/trip, etc.
      6. How: Automobiles, Airfare
  4. For STUDENTS traveling INTERNATIONALLY, complete the Student Travel Registry
  5. Request a Cash Advance Worksheet at least 28 days prior to travel (as needed)
  6. Work with SSC Staff to book airfare, registration, rental car, etc.
    1. Please note that for rental cars, we have to use Enterprise or National.  Here is more information
      1. Vehicle Rental FAQ's (pdf)
    2. When you use a pCard to book hotel reservations, if you are using state money (099, 700 funds) you can’t pay for more than one night’s hotel reservation in advance.

The SSC will email you a travel authorization number as soon as one is created.  Within this email, they will verify the destination and funding along with a list of what is needed for reimbursement after travel.  A complete list of these items can been found here


***Research Funds need to have the following before travel***

  1. Per Diem Exception Form completed and signed by all parties PRIOR to travel and sent to the SSC
  2. The PI must provide emailed endorsement of travel approval and funding for student travelers or other faculty who are not PIs on grant.

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today