In order for travelers to be reimbursed in a timely manner, it is important for everyone to do their part as early as possible. 

A Travel Authorization is REQUIRED if any of the following apply to you:

  • Employed by KU (faculty, staff, GTAs, drivers, student hourly, etc.)
  • Reimbursement expected
  • Any expenses relating to travel charged to a p-card (i.e., conference registration, abstract, etc.)

Travel Authorizations must be submitted and processed prior to travel in case of an accident or emergency (ex: workers' compensation).  Additionally, all reimbursements and p-card reconciliation relating to the travel will be delayed if a TA is not on file prior to departure. Note that TA requests cannot be processed until the traveller provides funding information and identify the destination city (or city closest to the destination for rural field work).



Follow the steps under Before Travel to have a travel authorization created for you.

As you travel, keep in mind the items listed under During Travel.

Once you return, please visit After Travel to start the reimbursement process.


Helpful Resources:

Procurement Services, Travel Information: Travel Center for University of KS Employees

Comptroller Policy: General Travel Information

Travel Handbook - State Funded FY15 (PDF)

Travel Handbook - State Funded after 1/1/2016 (PDF)

Travel Handbook - Updated 2/2/17 (PDF)

Tips for Travelers When State Funds are Used (PDF)

Paying Travel Expenses of Prospective Graduate Students

Travel Insurance

KUCR Travel Policies

KUCR International Travel

Endowment/IFA Funded Travel Guidelines


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today