Undergraduate Student Hourlies
Need to hire a student hourly employee?
Please allow a MINIMUM of 4 weeks between initiating a request and the anticipated start date, particularly for those who plan to start at the beginning of the fall.
- Notify Liz Smith as soon as you know you need to hire a student hourly employee.
- Secure funding and any necessary approvals
- Permission from Chair/Director to use departmental funds
- Grant Project ID (with approval from PI)
- Other funding
- Draft the Student Hourly Posting (doc) and submit to Liz Smith.
- Liz will review the posting and request clarification if needed, and will work with HR to post the position.
- Each position is required to be posted for a minimum of 3 days but can be posted as long as necessary. If you have a student in mind, they will need to apply to the position during this time (direct hires are not allowed).
- If you are hiring a grader or similar (non-GTA) class assistant, a posting may already exist - check with Liz.
- Determine who you would like to hire, using BrassRing to view applicant materials. Send the name(s) of the chosen candidate(s) to Liz, or complete a Student Hiring Summary (pdf) and submit to Susan Phillips.
After the hiring summary is received, HR will begin the hiring process. The candidate will receive a series of emails which will contain further instructions on the next steps. If they have not held a position at KU within the last 6 months, they may need to meet with an HR representative for additional paperwork. Candidates who are currently or have recently been employed by KU are typically able to complete all necessary paperwork online.