The Welcome Center has departmental p-cards available to check out on a first-come, first-served basis. These are available to faculty, and students who have received permission and funding information from their advisor or department chair.
***FACULTY: Please DO NOT send a student to use a p-card without providing them with funding information (account name and number).
Checking Out Departmental P-Cards
NOTE: Use of the p-card contrary to University policy and/or Welcome Center rules listed below will result in revocation of the individual's privilege to use the departmental p-cards.
- The person checking out the card is responsible for ensuring funding is available prior to purchase.
- Cards must be returned with tax-exempt, itemized receipt(s) within 1 hour unless prior arrangements are made with staff. If a receipt is not itemized or tax-exempt, the person who checked out the card is responsible for obtaining such receipt.
- Do NOT use the pcard to purchase these items without prior approval from staff: items which may be available to purchase from a catalog/contracted vendor; anything from Amazon or Ebay; 2+ nights at a hotel; Airbnb or VRBO; international purchases; purchases over $3,000
- Do NOT save the p-card number in any way (writing down, saving to an account, etc.)
- Provide all necessary documentation (link coming soon!)
Applying for a P-Card
If you would like to apply for your own p-card, review the p-card information on the Procurement Services website. Note the application requires your supervisor's signature.
Direct link to KU and KUCR p-card application (pdf)
When submitting receipts for p-card reconciliation, include this information for each receipt:
- Who - Who used the p-card
- What - what was the p-card used for
- When - date and time
- Where - where did the p-card get used
- Why - explanation of business purpose (documents may include itinerary, conference registration, etc.)
Note: These are the things the SSC looks at when they reconcile the purchases made with KURES/Research funding:
- make sure the five questions WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, and WHY are answered or can easily be identified
- check the funding in OAC to make sure the cost center/project # and fund are correct and that there is money available for spending
- check to make sure the date of purchase/service/travel are within the dates of the project
- check to make sure that the expense has a budget line and that it is a normal expense for that account
- check to make sure the correct account code for KUCR was used
- view the attachment to make sure it is legible
- make sure there is a signature on the invoice or an email for an electronic signature attached
- make sure that the description that will be in OAC makes sense for the purchase
- make sure the comments have all the information required: INV#, and description below it
KU Research P-Card Rules and Guidelines (pdf) (White KUCR p-card)
University Procurement Card Policy (Blue UKANS p-card)