When using research or grant funds for a purchase, the following details must be determined before a purchase is made:
- Are you using Project/Grant funds, Overhead (F&A) funds, or GRF funds?
- Did you budget the purchase in your project/budget proposal?
- Is the purchase allowed on the grant?
- What is the KUCR Project ID?
- Is this cost share?
- What is the justification for this purchase?
- How does this purchase relate to the research being preformed on this grant?
You can reference more information by reading the KUCR Purchasing and Procurement Policy
Provide your SSC Financial point of contact one of the following items to document that the PI or co-PI has signed-off on the purchase:
- an email from the PI or co-PI stating that yes, this purchase is ok using ABC0012345
- the PI or co-PI signature on the invoice or purchase order with the KUCR project ID, GRF number or Overhead (F&A) account written next to the signature
- NOTE: the KUCR project ID MUST be written out. Nicknames or sponsor ID numbers will not be accepted. Also, just saying "my NSF grant" will not be accepted.
- If you don't know your KUCR project ID, please contact Ramia (email@example.com) and she'll get it for you.
An email from a student that says "Professor/Dr. XYZ said it was ok to purchase..." cannot be used as documentation of PI authorization.
WALMART - For tax exempt purchases at Walmart using KUCR funds, the Walmart customer service number should be 203681, under KUCR or KU Center for Research.