During Travel

  1. Keep all ITEMIZED receipts for reimbursable expenses.  Note: credit card receipts, canceled checks, bank statements, etc. are not enough - they must be itemized!
  2. Keep a daily log of travel activity.
  3. If using a departmental vehicle, keep all fuel receipts.
  4. If you used a p-card DURING travel, please take a photo of the receipt and send it as soon as possible to the SSC with an explanation of what the expense is, its business purpose, and funding

For International Travel, a daily travel itinerary is REQUIRED for the travel expense report.

If travel is funded by Endowment/IFA funds, any travel over 5 days must include a daily itinerary including each days business purpose.


Note from Karen Schaller, Manager of Accounting Services at KUCR, regarding needing ALL receipts if you want reimbursement for that expense:

"KUCR policies regarding reimbursement for travel expenses incurred in the course of business are written with the goal of meeting the IRS definition of an 'Accountable Plan.'  Without a valid Accountable Plan, KUCR would be required to report all reimbursements as taxable income to the employee.  KUCR is required to consistently apply policies and procedures as necessary to ensure compliance with Federal tax laws and sponsoring agency regulations.  Requiring receipts for expenses exceeding $50 is also consistent with the Federal government's policy."

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today