After Travel

  1. Gather all expense receipts
    1. Airfare/Train/Transportation itinerary and cost
      1. If driving and want mileage reimbursed, you must show the cost difference and how driving was better than flying.
      2. Need to have the time of departure and the time of return regardless of style of transportation.
      3. This is used to determine per-diem, regardless of funding source
    2. Baggage Fees
    3. Lodging - Itemized!
      1. This is also used to determine per-diem.  The accountants need to have something on record about lodging regardless of funding source.
    4. Rental car
    5. Registration receipt (Conference registration or anything related)
      1. Conference Agenda or Business meeting itinerary is also needed
    6. Per Diem or actual meal receipts
      1. Per-diem exception form (KUCR - Research funds only)
      2. KUCR Per-diem Calculator (xlsx)
      3. State Per-diem Calculator (xls)
      4. Per-diem rates as of 1/1/2016
      5. Meal Allowance
    7. Parking receipts
    8. Fuel receipts
    9. Toll receipts
    10. Mileage
      1. To include mileage to and from KCI.  If this is being reimbursed, the standard 110 miles round trip will be used unless told otherwise.
      2. The Internal Revenue Service and State of Kansas Department of Administration have reduced the rates for mileage reimbursement effective January 1, 2020.  Private automobile mileage is $0.575 per mile for travel occurring on or after January 1, 2020.  The rates have been updated in Concur
      3. If no mileage, please explain why (taxi, shuttle, etc).
      4. State mileage
      5. Research mileage
    11. Taxi/Shuttle/Train/Bus receipts
      1. please make note of destination and business purpose
    12. Additional expense documentation if applicable
      1. Supplies
  2. Was any portion of your trip reimbursed or provided by another party?  If yes, please provide detailed information including who or what.  This would include any meals provided by the conference
  3. If receipts are in another language, they need to be translated.
  4. Currency needs to be converted. Oanda is a great reference.
    1. If requesting foreign exchange rates charged by your credit card company, please write on each line of the statement a brief explanation: meal (per-diem), gas, hotel, taxi, etc.
  5. DAILY ITINERARY for all International Travel and any Endowment/IFA funded travel over 5 days.
    1. Field work also requires a daily itinerary
  6. Conference Agenda or proof of meeting showing the name, location, dates, time, and any meals provided by the host/sponsor (see 1.e. above)
  7. Travel Approval from PI, Chair, Faculty Advisor, or CLAS (ex: proof of travel award)
  8. Business statements and the purpose of the travel is required for auditing purposes.
  9. If you had excess days (travel outside of business), please state what you were doing.
  10. If Endowment funded, please fill out the Endowment Travel Form (xls) and submit it with your receipts
  11. If you used a p-card DURING travel, please take a photo of the receipt and send it as soon as possible to the SSC with an explanation of what the expense is, its business purpose, and funding
  12. If you have any missing receipts, please contact the SSC to complete a Missing Receipt form.
  13. Lastly, if not fully Endowment funded (split funded, State, or Research), please complete this travel checklist.

Please submit all documentation, grouped together, as soon as possible.

  • The IRS requires travel receipts submitted 60 days after the travel end date be taxes as a taxable fringe benefit.
  • If a traveler submits their receipts beyond the 60-day limit
    • The traveler and the department funding the travel will be notified and the travel reimbursement will follow existing workflow approvals within the PeopleSoft travel module.
    • Central Offices will work with Payroll to add the value of the taxable fringe benefit to the traveler’s W-2. 
    • Employee taxes connected with the post 60-day reimbursement will be deducted from traveler’s future on-cycle paycheck. 
    • Employer taxes on taxable travel reimbursement will be charged to departmental funding provided by the department funding the trip, also on a future on-cycle paycheck.  Funding for employer taxes may not be from a sponsored project as it is an unallowable expense. 
  • To help travelers avoid this potential fringe tax, they will be reminded via email to submit their traveler receipts prior to 60 days.  Reminders will sent from KU Travel Notification System <>.
  • Please note that the 60-day limit is specifically for travelers turning in receipts and does not extend to reimbursement processing time by SSCs or Central Offices.  If a traveler submits receipts on day 60 and reimbursement is approved for payment 3 days later, the traveler will not be taxed.
  • The Comptroller’s Office and KUCR Fiscal Affairs plan to begin enforcement of this policy on March 1, 2017 for travel that ended December 31, 2016.   KU and KUCR policies will be updated to reflect this change.

If you are missing receipts, contact the SSC to complete the missing receipts form.

Documentation (originals or scanned copies) must be submitted to your SSC Financial point of contact (Gretchen Hatfield or Jama Lickteig in Strong Hall 50), or to your departmental staff contact:

If you are... Your departmental contact is... Office Location Email Address

EVRN Faculty
G/AS Faculty
Geology (field trips only)

Xoe Cranberry Lindley 213

Geog/ATMO graduate student Cicily Riggs Lindley 217A
Geology (any travel except field trips) Carolyn Church Ritchie 254D

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today